| Home | | Style | | Social Media | | Me |

Friday, August 10, 2012

Office Lunch: Roasted Corn and Black Bean Salad



Working downtown Austin means I have pretty much endless options for tasty lunches. It also means I have endless opportunities to spend all my hard earned money on food. After a month of constant lunching out I decided to cool it. My bank account and waistline have been thanking me ever since.

I've tried to make it a habit of cooking at home and bringing my lunch to the office most days of the week. I thought i'd share a few of those lunches and recipes with you here. Capisce? (My word - does anyone say capisce anymore?)

Up today is a roasted corn salad. It's super easy, healthy, and filling. And I've been addicted to it. It also makes a great taco if you just throw it on some rice in a tortilla.

Ingredients you'll need:
1 can of black beans
2 ears of corn (or 1 can, but fresh roasted is the tastiest)
1/3 small red onion
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1 radish
avocado
lime
Salt to taste

Here's what you do:
Loosen the husk of the corn and rinse thoroughly with water. Place the corn with the husks still wet directly on the oven rack and cook at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes (or until tender). The wet husks will help the kernals steam and be juicy. Once corn is cooked remove from the oven and let cool.

Drain the black beans and pour into a large mixing bowl. Add chopped cilantro, diced onion, and sliced radish. Once the corn cools cut the kernals from the cob and add to the bowl. Add the lime juice and salt to taste, coating the mixture thoroughly. Dice avocado as a topper with each serving. Yum.



And that's it - super fresh, cheap, and filling. What are some of your favorite office lunches?

1 comment: